This post is part of my Quilt-A-Long / Learn to Quilt With Me Series (if you’re on social media, remember to hashtag it: #QuiltingAlongWithTamara). See the first post in the series for the overview and links to the rest of the posts in the series.
After ordering fabric and supplies, I couldn’t just sit around and wait for them to arrive . . . how boring! Instead I knew I needed to plan (visually) how I was going to layout my quilt — where I was going to put what squares. AND, I wanted to that BEFORE all of the fabric arrived, so I would have a plan in place and be ready to go when all of my fabric and supplies arrived.
So, I first started doing this by hand on graph paper (with a pencil!), but I kept having to erase and redraw lines and rewrite stuff and start over. I wanted it to look pretty and reflect what the real quilt might look like.
So . . . I thought I might use excel.
After much trial and error, I decided to go with Option 4 (from Part 1 where I had to calculate all of the different size squares and figure out what would work with the fabric I already ordered), which makes a 42in x 42in finished quilt:
- 4in squares finished = 4.5in squares unfinished to account for 1/4in seams
- 7 squares across & down
- 1in sashing (white)
- 3in purple border on both the front side and the back side (folded over, so no need for edging)
Squares Layout Version 1
Here is what I came up with 1st, based on how I had imagined it from the start in my head:
But partway through, the layout looked ALL wrong!
So I started over. I of course kept my 8 x 8 and 5in squares, but the layout I had envisioned just wasn’t working, so that just had to be re-done.
Squares Layout Version 2
When I was done I thought that was looking MUCH better, and I was MUCH happier! 🙂
Squares Layout Version 3
Yep — there’s a version 3.
I took a break . . . . a long break . . . a 1-year delay (I know!! — sorry about that) . . . and I came back to it again, thinking it STILL wasn’t looking right! OY!!
I had been reading other quilting blogs and looking at other quilts and was thinking this one looked too crowded and that even though the colors went together, they kind were forced together or needed more space. So I thought I’d add white borders in between each square. So — that’s when I came up with this version, my FINAL one (yes, final!):
As always — I love to hear from you! 🙂