Here is my basic everyday tomato soup recipe.
It goes great with a warm grilled cheese on a cold winter day. 🙂
- 1 Onion; peeled and chopped in ½ moons (a white or yellow onion)
- 2 carrots; the long kind - minced (you can also sub in 1 cup baby carrots)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Dried basil
- Fresh Thyme
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Croutons
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese; shaved
- Cook the onions in the oil with a pinch of kosher salt and some freshly ground black pepper in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for about 10 minutes more -- they take a while to soften!
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, dried basil and a plethora of fresh thyme sprigs. Simmer until soup begins to thicken -- approx. 10 to 15 minutes -- but really "until it looks right" lol . . . . I know that's not really exact 😉 but do your best.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Top with the croutons and Parmesan before serving.
This recipe was inspired by a tomato soup recipe posted on the Real Simple website in January 2013.