Happy July! I hope you all are enjoying your summer. Last Tuesday, July 6th I celebrated my 24th birthday. Since my sister’s birthday is July 3rd our family went out to dinner at Helen’s Garden in Canton. I had a rack of lamb with smashed potatoes, goat cheese, and asparagus. It was sounbelievably delicious! We had carrot cake for dessert since it was my sister’s actual birthday.
Because I weigh in at Weight Watchers Wednesday mornings, I didn’t want a high-calorie piece of cake the night before. So, my mom came up with such a clever idea! She and my sister put some fruit on a plate, but not just in any old way. They made a smiley face using two blueberries for the eyes, a strawberry for the nose, and a watermelon for the smile. And then they lit a candle and stuck it in the strawberry. It was socute! I thought I took a picture of it, but alas I can’t seem to find it. None the less, I had a wonderful birthday week!
Now, for a few fun July 6th facts:
- I share my birthday with Frida Kahlo, Della Reese, the Dalai Lama, Sylvester Stallone, Tia & Tamera Mowry, 50 cent.
- 1785: The dollar was unanimously chosen as the monetary unit for the United States.
- 1858: The first shoe-sole machine was patented.
- 1920: A radio compass was used for the first time for aircraft navigation.
- 1957: John Lennon meets Paul McCartney.