One of my many passions is cooking. I’m a bit of a health nut, so I’m always looking for tasty figure-friendly foods. Though I must admit, I do have a bit of a sweet tooth.
Anyways, I was in the grocery store the other day and I came across Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw. On the back of the package there was a Hungry Girl recipe for Scoopable Chinese Chicken Salad (Serves 4). I thought I’d try it, so I made it for lunch that day. I altered the recipe a bit since I couldn’t find some of the ingredients. So, in the end it wasn’t so Chinese after all, but it was still quite delicious! Here it is if you’re interested:
- One 12oz bag Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw
- 9.5oz cooked skinless lean chicken breast or tenders (I grilled them)
- 3/4 cup + 1tbsp canned water chestnuts, drained, sliced in thin strips
- 3/4 cup + 1tbsp canned mandarin oranges packed in water or juice, drained & chopped
- 3/4 cup + 1tbsp chopped scallions (I used 1 small white onion)
- 1/2 cup + 1.5tbsp low-fat sesame ginger dressing (I made my own dressing)
- 1/2 bell pepper (I added this)
- garlic cloves (to taste – I added this)
My Homemade Honey Mustard Dressing:
- Oil (Canola or Olive Oil)
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Some spices (I used Oregano, Basil, Marjoram, & a little bit of Thyme)
- Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl or pitcher
- Saute onions, garlic cloves, & bell pepper in skillet with some oil (same as in dressing)
- Let warm ingredients cool a bit
- Cut chicken into bite-size chunks
- In a large bowl, toss all ingredients together with dressing and mixed well
- The recipe said to refrigerate for at least 2hrs, I think I only did it for 30min.
- Remove from fridge, stir well and serve
If I ever make this again (which I’m sure I will because it was so easy and very tasty) I would change a few things.
- I didn’t care for the water chestnuts, so I’d leave those out
- I’d add regular shredded lettuce as well.
- The onion worked but I think scallions would be better (which is what the original recipe called for anyways).
- I would stick with my dressing and also maybe add also mix in a few chopped dried cranberries.
Well, I hope you enjoy it if you make it! Bon Appetit!